International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
When applying to schools and institutions in the UK, it’s inevitable that students will be assessed for their English ability. For primary and secondary education, this is usually done through entrance exams of the schools you’re applying to. At sixth form and university level, it’s most common to use the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
IELTS is the world’s most popular English language test, in which students will be evaluated all of their English skills – reading, writing, listening and speaking.
IELTS results is valid for two years.
Do you need to take IELTS? *
If you’re aged 16+, you may take IELTS to test your English ability. When it’s compulsory, our education consultants will advise accordingly during the consultation process.
To get a quick and initial judgement, students and parents may also follow the guidelines below, based on the type of schools and programmes you’re applying to:
- If you’re applying to Boarding Schools: IELTS is usually not required.
- If you’re applying to State Further Education and Sixth Form Colleges: IELTS is usually always required.
- If you’re applying to Universities: It will depend on the universities and programmes you’re applying to. Many universities now accept English in HKDSE as evidence of your English ability. Normally if you’ve achieved level 4 in HKDSE English, you may be exempted from taking IELTS.
- If you’re applying to International Year One or University Foundation: IELTS is usually required.
* Admissions policies and student visa regulations affect whether you’re required to take IELTS. Please consult our education consultants or the institutions you’re applying to for a definite judgement.
English Requirements and Different Types of IELTS: What’s IELTS for UKVI (Academic)?
IELTS for UKVI (Academic) is the version of IELTS designated by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) for visa purposes and it’s currently the most widely accepted version of IELTS. Therefore, if test dates allow, we’d highly recommend that students take IELTS for UKVI (Academic).
|State FE & Sixth Form College||Degree & Master’s||International Year One||University Foundation|
Max score: IELTS 9.0
|IELTS 5.0-5.5||IELTS 6.0-7.0+||IELTS 5.5-6.0||IELTS 4.5-5.5|
|IELTS Academic||Not Accepted||Sometimes Accepted||Not Accepted||Not Accepted|
|IELTS Academic for UKVI||Accepted||Accepted||Accepted||Accepted|
Currently the test fees for the two most popular versions of IELTS are:
- IELTS Academic: HK$2,090
- IELTS for UKVI (Academic): HK$2,020
How to Apply
As a British Council Approved Registration Centre, students can apply to take IELTS in British Council (Hong Kong) through us. Alternatively, students may also apply online on the British Council website.
This guidelines was last updated on 8th August 2019.
If you want to apply for IELTS or know more about the content, please kindly fill in the following electronic form. Our education consultants will get back to you shortly.